Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Day of Volleyball Goodness at the Ateneo Open

So yesterday, I was at the Ateneo Blue Eagle Gym to watch the semifinal and championship games of the Ateneo Open 2013. Frankly, I didn’t know what to expect since the only places where I’ve watched volleyball in are San Juan Arena, MOA Arena, Araneta and Ultra.

I was quite clear with my intentions that day: to see the Fab 5 play once again and check out if the buzz about UPWVT’s development is true. Another reason was, I wanted to have my weekly dose of volleyball (you should too. It's good for the health. :D)

Well for one, I did see four of the fab five play. Only Dzi Gervacio did not participate in the games. It was such a joy to see former Lady eagles like Bello and Soriano play again alongside Cainglet, Ho and Nacachi (Ferrer played for HOPE).

And yes, I was quite impressed with the new UP Lady Maroons. Bersola looked cute in person but I was really surprised with how pretty Se really is. That short hair is perfect for her face. Oh, as for their “development”, I was more of relieved than surprised. After watching their “bleh” performance in Season 75, I was already expecting this squad to train really hard and become better. With a new coach, Jerry Yee from Hope, I had all reasons to expect a lot of changes in the girls’ play.

Bersola is now much more confident and powerful and so was Se. There were still a lot of mishits and errors but they were able to show some great floor defense. I was observing Coach Yee the whole time and he is very much different from UP’s former coach, Jarold Hubalde. Hubalde seemed really cool and gentle, similar to AdU’s Coach Meneses while Yee is more loud and stern like Coach Gorayeb.

Speaking of Coach Sherwin Meneses of the Adamson Lady falcons, I was able to have a short chat with him (he played with some FEU players). I asked him about who will be their graduating players next year and he answered, Zapanta and Pineda. Wow. Adamson’s main attackers will no longer play in UAAP 77. I also asked him about Mylene Paat’s role in the team. He said he’s still unsure if Paat will play as middle or utility. Too early to say, he shared.

Spotted in the Eagle’s Nest were DLSU’s Abi Maraño and Jaja and Dindin’s sister Diane Santiago who both looked charming in shorts. Also seen were former UAAP men’s volleyball stars AJ Pareja, Mark Lee, Chris Macasaet and many others.

I was also amused by observing the crowd. Wow! Volleyball must have the widest variety of fans. I saw families, young boys and girls, high school and college students, and straight and gay men and women of all ages.


And finally, I think it’s worth noting how nice and friendly the volleyball players were. I wasn’t wearing a PRESS ID or anything imposing for that matter, but I was able to talk to so many players and ask a thing or two. They all responded very nicely from Cainglet and Ho to Maraño and Torres. No snobs there! Even Chris Macasaet and Mark Lee who looked very serious and intimidating that day were actually very accommodating and friendly.

I'd say the 40 pesos I paid as entrance fee was the best 40 pesos I've ever spent. During regular games such as in Araneta, I couldn't have gotten that close to these amazing players. Looking forward to Ateneo Open 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment